Sweetest Day also known as Singles Awareness Day Number 2 (Valentine’s Day, of course, holds the number 1 spot) is the second least favorite holiday to every single living in the northwest corner of the United States. Why? Because it reminds you that you’re single, which is something you might be able to digest on a normal day, but when it comes to these lovey dovey holidays, it’s hard to avoid feeling alone or left out.
But who says you have to mope? Here at Funcoast we want you to get out and enjoy your life, whether you are single or in a relationship. So instead of pulling out the tissues, eating an extra pound of chocolate and feeling sorry for yourself this Sweetest Day, here are five guaranteed ways to celebrate what and whom you do love in this life.
1. Ladies! The spa at Kalahari Waterpark is having some great deals in October. Get a group of friends together and take the day to pamper yourselves. If you wear pink, a dollar will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, for each treatment you receive.
2. Gents! We all know what you’re thinking, will there be any football games on that day? As a matter of fact, yes! Ohio State will be playing Purdue that day. Get a gang of guys to go watch the game at Buffalo Wild Wings and cheer on your favorite team over some yummy wings. Kick off is at noon.
3. Show love somewhere else around the community. If you love pets, check out the local humane society. Another great random act of kindness is to pay for someone else’s gas, turnpike toll, coffee, fast food or the like who’s in line behind you, it’s those small gestures that could mean the world to a complete stranger, who might just repay the kind favor by doing it for someone else.
4. Put on some black and go out to Put-In-Bay to attend “The Wake” with other single friends. A tradition for over 30 years, residents of Put-In-Bay mourn the passing of summer and the closing of another season with one last festivity filled weekend. While on the island, enjoy some local music, such as The Relations who are playing at The Fishbowl starting at 7:30 p.m.
5. Work on your car, take one last boat ride around the bay, catch up on your scrap booking, practice your photography, get out your dust covered guitar and play some tunes. Take a “me” day. Do what you love to do for the day. You deserve it!
No matter what your relationship is on Facebook or in real life, get out there and enjoy the day and remember this quote, “If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you love.”
P.S. For those of you that are in a relationship these things all make great dates too, i.e. surprise your girl with a couples massage, watch the game with your beau, learn a little more about one of your love’s favorite hobbies. Plus, there are a lot of gushy romantic happenings this same day as well. Go stargazing in Fremont, Ohio at the Wolf Creek Park at 7 p.m. or attend the Saturday night dance at 7 p.m., in the Grand Ballroom above the Milan Township Hall in Milan.