1. Throw a long-sleeved layer under your favorite (but dark-colored) summer dress for an easily-revamped outfit that will last all winter long! Use a collared button-down with a mini pinstripe for a boyish or corporate look. Match a pair of colored tights and heeled loafers or booties with your sort-of-new get-up and maybe a few silver or gold-toned chains; I recommend going as 90’s as possible with this trend.
[Check out exclusive photos from Gina's photo shoot in downtown Sandusky in the Sweet Style in Sandusky gallery, HERE.]
2. If you’re not in the mood for a chunky sweater, but still want to keep toasty warm, try layering a fitted blazer under a thicker one. It might sound a bit impractical, but I promise you that the pairing is surprisingly comfy! Make sure your base layer is thin, such as a crew neck t-shirt; go long or short-sleeved depending on the temperature. I recommend going casual with this style. Throw on a pair of skinny jeans and some boots, Girlfriend!
3. I am head-over-heels about wearing socks under a pair of heels. If executed correctly, this trend can tie together your ensemble quite nicely. Thinner socks match well with standard pumps & more feminine heels, whereas thicker and/or nubby socks compliment heeled boots, booties, & chunky loafers. Once you have the idea of how to nab this style, try experimenting with patterned socks in florals, argyle, chevron, etc.
4. Take your thin silk and nylon scarves out of the box marked “Summer” and wrap one tightly around your neck like a mock turtle-neck. This style works well with crew and round necklines, so find a light sweater that fits the profile and VOILA! Instant style. You can even add a chunky knit scarf as a topper!/p>
5. In past issues, I have flip-flopped on whether or not shorts in winter are a fashion DO or a fashion DON’T. After some research, I believe that I have finally mastered the new (and proper) rules for wearing shorts in winter. And, in the end, some pairs may fit the bill and some might have to remain in storage.
-They must be made of a winter-friendly material: wool, leather, velvet
- Pair with thin (patterned) tights or opaque nylons AND socks
- Wanna wrap up your look in a neat little package, or should I say present? Top things off with a pair of thin, black suspenders! If you can manage to find a pair of suspenders in a bright color, royal blue or vermilion perhaps, try them out with a darker, muted ensemble.